Wednesday 11 September 2019

September - Swallows, Sleeves, Socks, Strictly and Sleep

I can't believe we're nearly half-way through September already!

I haven't seen or heard any Swifts since perhaps mid-August. Small groups of Swallows dash eastwards, making the most of the wind behind them, calling and feeding as they go. A group today were particularly loud. I looked up just in time to see a Kestrel flying low through the gap between my house and next door, so low that it was its light-chestnut coloured back which identified it as a Kestrel. It was gone in a flash, so I couldn't catch whether it was male or female. I've only seen a Kestrel here once or twice, hunting along the fenceline, riding the wind.

The sun sets noticeably earlier and we've had night-time temperatures in single figures. I run hot, so am still in T shirts, but have had to put on something with sleeves on cooler evenings.

The cats have noticed the change in temperature and snuggle closer in bed, instead of sprawling, belly-up, in their own space. Now I'm under the duvet, instead of lying starfished on top of the sheets.

I keep seeing news predicting a week's heatwave in the wake of the Atlantic weather systems formed from the remnants of tropical storms Dorian and Gabrielle, though the weather for the week ahead locally doesn't reflect that. It may stay mild here, but once again, the media headlines refer to London and the south-east of England, as if that represents the whole of the UK.

It will soon be time to break out the woolly socks, and I have picked up some knitting which has been aestivating. I lose the motivation to knit during the summer, but it comes back as the weather cools.

My right knee is having a bit of a flare. A few weeks ago, it took the brunt of the twisting force as I tried to stop a wayward shopping trolley, which also ripped off the top of a finger nail. Despite lots of massage, physio exercises, mindful use, warmth and rest, it is getting worse rather than better. It's not just painful when I try to use it (and it's painful even when I'm resting it), but it feels as though the knee is on sideways. The familiar feeling that the insides are an overstretched, knotted ball of elastic, bits of which catch and ping. It won't bend properly with my weight on it, and is unreliable bearing my weight - a clue that the kneecap isn't tracking properly. Although it's occasionally been bad this year, it's not been this bad. It gave way last night as I was peeling some carrots, and I took a chunk of skin off one of my finger-tips with the peeler as I lost balance. Blood everywhere, and a throbbing finger to add to my irritability!

I'd forgotten how exhausting pain is. It wakes me at night, and though I fall asleep again quite easily (purring, snuggly cats help!), I sleep longer - eight hours becomes nine, ten, eleven ....

Another thing which provides some motivation is Strictly Come Dancing, which always makes me want to dance. Optimistically, I've rearranged a new course of belly dance classes starting in October, to give me a few weeks to try to get my knee a bit better again.

Perhaps if the weather heats up (ha ha!), some lying around on a warm, sunny beach and perhaps having a swim might be good therapy too! Meanwhile, I can sit with my leg up on the sofa, watching Strictly and knitting, which is pretty good therapy all by itself.

No comments: