Sunday 12 October 2014

Soothing sunset

One of the joys of living down here is the opportunity to just take a trip or a detour to watch the sunset from a beach.

I'd been up to Cardigan to have some work done on the car (ach, stress and money!) and as I collected it, I realised it was going to be a lovely evening. Too lovely to go home straight away, so I took the road which would take me to Fishguard, without really thinking what I wanted to do. As I reached Dinas Cross, I realised the west-facing Pwllgwaelod* would be a lovely place to watch the sunset.

On a fine evening, I love the whole time between the golden hour, when the setting sun turns everything to gold and blue, and the dusk when it gets too dark to see. After the sun dips below the horizon, the 'blue hour' might include a lovely sunset of reds and oranges to contrast with the darkening sky, especially if there are clouds to pick up the colours. Or it might just colour the sky and sea gentle shades of greenish-yellow, coral, violet, and eventually a sky-blue-pink as the pink band of the Belt of Venus stretches along the darkening horizon. The same thing happens in reverse at dawn, from dark to sunrise. Being a night bird, I tend to catch dawns by staying up late rather than rising early, although the latter has been known too!


It turned out to be a lovely sunset. I sat on the sea wall and watched as the sun disappeared, the sky and reflecting sea took on various colours, changing and darkening. I could feel myself breathing more slowly, relaxing, my mind stretching out into space. Lights came on in the distance, and I realised that they were the lights of the station and ferry port at Goodwick.

Reluctantly, I brought myself back to a 'now' which demanded action, got up stiffly, tottered back to the car and drove home.


* It helps to remember that in Welsh, W is a vowel, pronounced as a short oo. LL is a soft sound created by pressing the end of your tongue to the palate just above and behind your front teeth and then breathing out through slightly parted teeth and lips. 'Wae' is pronounced like 'why'. Pooll-gwhy-lod. Bottom pool or cove.

No comments: