Thursday 17 August 2017

Big Butterfly Count 2017

Compared to previous years, I seem to have seen a lot of butterflies this year. Not great numbers, but a greater variety. However, the butterfly count was a bit of a failure, in that I didn't actually take the time to record the butterflies.

Most of the time, I was out working in the garden, or on my way somewhere, so it was very much an 'ooh, it's a ...' (or two, or six), and then I didn't even make a note in my diary. So, with a resolution to do better next year (and get the buddleia planted so that it flowers in time, too!) here are the butterfly species seen this spring/summer in the garden:

Small White
Large White
Orange Tip
Speckled Wood
Red Admiral
Painted Lady
Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Comma

The number of species is a huge improvement on last year. There are only a few more species I could reasonably expect to see (Meadow Brown, Holly Blue, Large Skipper) and any others would be a bonus!

Let's hope there are lots of butterflies next year too and that I remember to record them!

No comments: