Tuesday 20 May 2014

Cleaning Before Crafting

I don't know of a single creative person who is extremely tidy and living with minimalist decor.  The two just don't seem to mix. It's just a downright nuisance to have to pack everything away when you're in the middle of something.  I'm sure it contributes to unfinished objects.  And what about the creative inspiration arising from the haphazard combination of those fabrics, yarns, beads, textures, colours ...?

As I've confessed elsewhere, I have a blind spot for creative clutter and hate housework.  However, there comes a time when the chaos is too much, even for me.  I've been trying to get the house tidy, spring-cleaned, redecorated in places, and the garden straight in an hour a day, but it's not working and I feel like I'm constantly fighting a losing battle.

I surfed around for more ideas. There are lots of sites with ideas for dealing with housework and decluttering in anything from 15 minutes to an hour a day.  Let's see ... none actually include the garden as well, or doing any redecorating.  15 minutes a day at a running pace and then has professional cleaners in once a month for a thorough clean? (Isn't that cheating?) An hour, but it doesn't include laundry and dishes. Another does include laundry and dishes, but requires a dishwasher and a washer-drier so the machines do all the work. I have neither. Lots of tips for multi-tasking, such as cleaning the sink while you clean your teeth, or sweeping through with a broom as you walk from one room to another (like you're going to go fetch a broom before you walk to another room? Yeah, right!). All assume the place is easy to clean, furnished so that you have a place for everything, and don't necessarily include 'picking up' in the cleaning time. There's a general consensus that for everyday, a quick whisk through is fine. That's as maybe, but it's time for something more in depth. A couple of them recommend doing a walk-through to make a list when things are really bad, so that you can plan what to do and have the joy of crossing things off.

There's nothing for it, I've decided that for the next 10 days and around my other commitments, I'm going to concentrate on getting the chaos under control and do cleaning and clearing rather than crafting. What a terrible thought! Will I be able to cope?  I'll have to put my creativity to work in other ways. The main issue is still the pain in my knees, so there will still be a need to microburst. I'm loving the idea that I might make such a difference I don't recognise the place and I'll be much more efficient when I can quickly and easily find the fabric, beads or item of clothing that I want and focus on the project in hand.

As for the garden, the only fine day in the next five day forecast is the day I'm out all day. I really hope this is not the start of a rainy summer! It's pouring with rain as I write.

So, where to begin? Meh.  I could do with some Minions and a cup of tea.  Okay, just the cup of tea, then, while I plan my campaign.

No comments: