Tuesday 8 April 2014

A Flower a Day: Crochet Spiral Rosette

Materials: Acrylic DK
Techniques: Crochet

This was one of the patterns in my Ravelry queue.  I'm using some of my acrylic DK stash to create the flowers and mine doesn't look anything like as pretty as the original, which was done with a crochet cotton.  Amazing, how a single thread of this shade looks an innocuous peach colour, but it's really quite a luminous light orange.

I had a couple of false starts with the instructions for this flower, as I couldn’t work out exactly what I was doing from the instructions (don’t join the circle, but then do a single crochet in the next stitch - isn’t that joining the circle?). Eventually I twigged that the ‘centre’ made from the first two rounds is in fact a spiral base, and by turning the base over and then doing 2dc (US) into each stitch in the spiral base, you are spiralling back in towards the centre.
I've seen this technique described elsewhere as 'crochet on a plate', the 'plate' being the round or spiral base.

No comments: