Wednesday 9 April 2014

A Flower a Day: Popcorn Stitch Flower

Materials: Acrylic DK
Techniques: Crochet, popcorn stitch, in the round

This was another of the Ravelry patterns in my queue and I happened across the tutorial video in YouTube, which is very clear and easy to crochet along with. I stopped after three rounds - the centre, first round of 8 petals, then a round of 16. I love that the instructions include the 'formula' for increasing crochet rounds, so that this could be done as a cushion cover.  It makes a very dense flower in the acrylic DK.

Watching the video, I was fascinated by the elegant way that Brittany rolls the hook to grab the yarn. I'm using (I think) a 4mm hook.  I'm not sure of the size, because I am using my trusty old Clover double-ended steel hook. The hook sizes are 5/0 and 6/0, which I think equate to 3.75 and 4 mm. It feels like I've had it forever, so it must be at least 40 years old.

No comments: