Sunday 9 June 2013

Salad Days - Chargrilled Aubergine, Courgette and Pepper

My plans for this lunchtime and today's salad were derailed in a most pleasant way when my next door neighbour popped in to say they were having a barbecue for lunch, and would I like to join them?  Oh, but it's meat, but there will be lots of salads. So I decided to slice up some aubergine, pepper and courgette, briefly marinaded in a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, herbs and finely chopped chilli and take that to chargrill on the barbie.  It was too dark by the time I ate yesterday to get a picture of the fennel and orange salad, so I made another.

Sorry about the pic - it doesn't look all that appetising but I assure you the chargrilled veg were smoky and delicious, with an odd piece here and there of very hot chilli.  They needed some feta, but luckily there was a dish of feta and kalamata olives, and some tomato, mozzarella and basil slices.  With some fennel and orange as well, lunch was a delicious feast! Their souvlakia and pork patties did look and smell great, and as no-one else fancied any chargrilled veg, or liked fennel, I had it all to myself.

No comments: